Water is the best drink you can give your dog. All dogs need constant access to clean, fresh and preferably cool water. For your dog, drinking water really is the best way to keep them hydrated and healthy.

Most dogs need about an ounce of fluids per pound of body weight per day, so a 10-pound dog needs a bit over a cup of clean water daily. Really active or lactating dogs may need more and puppies generally drink more than adult dogs.

If your is drinking a lot of water, you may need to seek veterinary advice. Many conditions can lead to excessive thirst or dehydration in your dog, including diabetes, Cushing's diease, cancer, diarrhea, fever, infection, kidney disease, and liver disease.

Sometimes, however, it may not be the condition itself causing your dog's excessive thirst, but the medication used to treat it. Talk to a vet about your dog's medication and its side effects; if drugs are behind your dog's thirst, the vet may be able to lower the dosage.

BLUE GREEN WATER AND ALGAE......... If a dog swallows algae containing a combination of the most severe toxins (neurotoxins and hepatotoxins), they may start showing signs within minutes. Signs in dogs exposed only to hepatotoxins can take between one and a few hours to show.

The most common signs of blue green algae poisoning include: Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Disorientation/weakness,Breathing difficulties, Drooling, Seizures, Blood in stools, Coma, and Shock. You should seek urgent veterinary help as blue green algae can lead to liver damage


This information is not meant to be a substitute for veterinary care. Always follow the advice provided by your veterinarian.