The Collie Club of Wales
14th October 2023 Sub-Group Open Show
Judge: Georgina Howard
I would like to say thank you to the committee for inviting me and their warm hospitality, and to all those who entered.
I’d also like to compliment the Smooth Collie exhibitors. Overall the dogs were shown in excellent condition with absolutely excellent temperaments.
Special Awards Classes - Collie (Rough)
Special Award Junior Dog or Bitch (3,1)
- Lockyer, Mrs M A, Gataj All That Sparkles. 9 month old sable bitch of nice quality. While I would prefer slightly more underjaw, overall she has a super head and expression, with parallel planes, correctly placed stop, dark, almond, oblique set eyes and well set ears. Body wise, I would prefer a slightly deeper chest with more spring of rib, however I’m sure this will come with age. Well muscled hindquarters led to a nice drive on the rear, with only a slight roll on the topline.I would love to see this bitch with her eventual adult coat, as currently she is carrying a heavy puppy coat
- Skinner, Miss S, Ladnar Makeithappen for Nikal. 8 month old blue dog of promising quality. This young lad has such a sweet expression, with level planes and correct stop, strong underjaw, dark almond eyes and correctly set ears. A well arched neck leads to a well angulated front and rear, covered by a beautifully clear blue jacket. While his chest is a tad narrow, I’m sure this will come with age. However, when it came to movement, this young man was more interested in his lead than demonstrating what he could do on the move for me.
Special Award Post Graduate Dog or Bitch (2,1)
- Ross, Mr P, Most Majestic Timeless Touch At Samshernik (Imp Hun). 2 year old pleasing sable bitch. While I would prefer a slightly stronger head, she held nice level planes, correct stop, correct bite and well set ears. Her dark eyes were obliquely set, however could be more almond in shape. Her well fitted jacket covered a well angulated front and rear. On the move she had lovely reach in the front and reasonable, if a little close, drive at the rear.
Special Award Open Dog or Bitch (2)
- Beare, Mrs S, Jemspark Maid in Secret. 7 year old pleasing sable bitch. Very pleasing head with correctly placed stop, level planes, dark almond eyes, well set ears and good bite. While I would prefer better angulation in the front, this bitch had a lovely length of loin and well angulated and muscled hindquarters which lead to great rear drive, however I would prefer more reach in front.
- Lockyer, Mrs M A, Gataj Good Time Girl. 2 year old sable bitch. While this bitch is of a stronger head pattern, she has a pleasing dark eye and well set ears. While heavier built, she had well angulated fore and hindquarters and good length of loin, which led to sound movement.
Special Yearling Dog (2)
- Warren & Lusty, Miss K & Miss A, Coldelee Jupiter Rises with Blamorder. 16 month old Tri boy with a pleasing outline and excellent temperament. His well proportioned masculine head had level planes, well set ears and an excellent bite. While his eyes were correctly set they could be slightly more dark and almond. Body wise, he could do with a slight more depth of chest, however he is of excellent length, with well angulated front and back. At his young age he is slightly high on the leg, which showed in his otherwise sound movement. RBD
- Rodgers & Carvallo, Miss C & Mr J, Blamorder Mischief Maker. This sable 12 month old dog has a lot of likeable points and excellent temperament. I am in love with his head. Perfect parallel planes, dark, well set sweet eyes, and well tipped, if slightly wide set, ears. He’s of excellent length, with well muscled and angulated hindquarters. Unfortunately, his angulation is slightly too open at the front, which showed on the move.
Limit Dog (2,1)
- Warren & Lusty, Miss K & Miss A, Coldelee Jupiter Rises with Blamorder.
Open Dog (3,1)
- Wensley, Mr M & Mrs R, Constella Hazy Cosmic Jive JW. 2 year old tri boy who also had a super temperament. Overall he’s a lovely specimen and I can see him working the field. His clean masculine head had nice level planes, well set ears and a good bite.However, I would prefer his eyes to be a tad more dark and almond. His body is in excellent condition, with good angulation front and rear, good length and depth of chest. His conditioning showed in his sound movement. BD/BOS
- Martin, Mrs K & Mr M, Shandlmain Blu Chief. 4 year old blue dog with many likeable features. His masculine head was perfectly well blunted, clean, with a well set stop and parallel lines. His eyes were well set, but weren’t quite almond in shape. His ears, unfortunately, were very heavy and wide set, which marred his overall profile. His well arched neck led to well angulated fore and hind quarters, with excellent length of body and a deep chest. His otherwise sound movement was slightly weak in the front.
Veteran Dog or Bitch (9,6)
- Lusty, Miss A, Ch Blamorder Ice Cream Dream. A drop dead beautiful 7 year old blue bitch. For me, this bitch is exactly what a smooth collie should be. She held a perfectly sweet expression, with a well blunted muzzle, correctly placed stop and clean parallel lines. Her eyes are the perfect almond shape, and her ears are bang on top. Her well arched neck leads to an excellently proportioned body covered by a beautifully clear blue coat. Her forequarters were well angulated, chest was deep with well sprung ribs, good length of loin and well muscled and angulated hindquarters. While she simply floats around the ring, and I can see her going all day, my sole complaint would be I’d like to see her a bit more enthusiastic while moving. BB/BV/BOB
- Kinsey & Martin, Mrs A & Mrs K, Sturtmoor Kurious Kadence. This tri, nearly 9 year old bitch was a very close match to the 3rd place winner, who is also her litter mate. While I can tell she was lovely in her heyday, I feel her age may be catching up with her. While her head was of good length with a well placed stop, she was slightly wide in back skull. Her eyes, which could be slightly smaller, were well placed, and her ears were bang on top. Her well arched neck led to well angulated forequarters, deep chest and well sprung rib, good length of loin and well angulated and muscled hindquarters. Where her age was most apparent however, was her movement, which was particularly weak in the front.
- Kinsey & Martin, Mrs A & Mrs K, Sturtmoor Khaos of Kaswyn.
Special Yearling Bitch (2)
- Holmes, Holmes & Lusty, Mr D, Mrs T, Mis A G, Blamorder Makers Mark. Beautiful 12 month sable bitch with a very bright future ahead of her. Firstly, I want to draw attention to her absolutely super temperament, which is lovely to see. Her head held the most beautiful sweet expression, with level planes, well blunted muzzle, correct stop and the most perfect dark, oblique almond eyes. Her ears were perfectly set and bang on top. My sole complaint would be I would prefer a tad more underjaw. Her well arched neck led to a deep chest, lovely length of body and well angulated fore and hind quarters. On the move she was sound with excellent drive in the rear. Her topline rolled ever so slightly, but was still great for her age. RBB/RBOB
- Jerrett, Mrs D L, Coldelee Eternal Sunshine JW. 18 month old excellent tempered Sable bitch who was a very close match to my first place. I believe this bitch has a bright future ahead of her, and is just in an awkward junior phase. Her head had level planes, clean lines, well placed stop and excellent underjaw. She held nicely sized and shaped eyes and her ears were well tipped, if slightly wide set. Her well arched neck led to a well angulated front, a ever so slightly shallow chest, good length of loin and well muscled and angulated rear. While her movement was otherwise sound, she did elbow out ever so slightly.
Limit Bitch (3,3)
Open Bitch (2,2)